9 Things You Need To Know Before Making A Trip To Mountain Afadja
• Afadjato is the highest mountain in Ghana at an elevation of 885m above sea level. It’s also known as Mountain Afadja not mountain Afadjato. This is because,”Afadja” is the name of the mountain and “to” in ewe language means mountain so it would be right to say either mountain Afadja or simply Afadjato. Find below all you need to know before starting your journey to Afadjato
• The mountain is located in the Agumatsa range in the Volta region of Ghana, in between the villages of Liati and Gbledi. There are two entrances to the mountain, one at Liati Wote(main entrance) and the second at Gbledi-Gbogame, I used the second entrance.
• You can get a trotro from Accra to Hohoe and continue from Hohoe to Liati by motor bike, taxi or trotro. You can also choose to alight at Golokwati and continue to liati/Gblede by motorbike or a taxi (the 2nd option is faster). Use this same direction when you are traveling with your own car.
• The road is dusty- I mean extremely dusty from Nyanbe through Tafi to Godpme. Don’t put on white apparel if you traveling in a trotro. You can get a handkerchief to cover your nose to prevent you from inhaling the dust and also get a headgear to cover your hair if you don’t want to be looking like an albino.
• The journey from Accra to Hohoe is 4 hours. It’s a 50minutes drive from Hohoe to Liati and 30minutes drive from Golokwati to Gbledi. Motorbike was my main mood of transportation while there.
• The cost of climbing the mountain is 5cedis($2) for adults. It’s without a guide but one can be provided for a fee. Wear a comfortable sneaker so your feet doesn’t give you up on the way.
• Get your own water before starting the hike – a big bottle of water is recommended. If you fail to do so, you wouldn’t get water from anywhere on the mountain.
• I suggest you wake up early to climb, it can be between 5:30am to 10am-perfect climbing time or 3:30pm to 4:30pm. It is not advisable after 5pm. If you detest meeting lots of people while climbing,go on a weekday because there are a lot of people on weekends.
- How long it takes to climb to the top of the mountain depends on every individual. It is likely first timers will take 40minutes to 2hours. It took me an hour and half to get to the top because my friend kept stopping after every 2minutes. Christian the boy who walked us to the top told me he spends 15minutes to get to the top.
Making your way to the top of Afadjato isn’t easy but the natural beauty at the top makes the stress worth it. Also have in mind that the stress would definitely carry you through for few days. Ooo, don’t forget to check the weather condition before embarking on this adventure so the rain doesn’t make your journey bad. To watch the video, visit the video page on the menu.
Read about my experience hiking Afadjato here. I also want to hear about your experience hiking mountain Afadja, so do well to comment them below….. Happy adventure.